Monday, May 9, 2011

The Right Clicker Training Treats Are Crucial to Dog Clicker Training Success

Now that you have the dog training clicker, you need to determine what treats you’re going to give your dog that will make him want to respond to clicker training. Many clicker training experts suggest the dog treats found in grocery stores may not be special enough for your dog to stay focused on a new or difficult task; they recommend “human” food as the healthiest, tastiest treat for your dog. Cheese, hot dogs, chicken, steak—what special treats does your dog love? Be sure to cut them up in tiny pieces and give them only as clicker training treats for the best results.

You may be asking yourself:



Q. How do I keep my dog from getting fat with all the clicker training treats?
A. Be sure to cut up the food into tiny morsels – the size of a pea or smaller. One trainer cuts a hot dog into 80 pieces. Consider the treats part of your dog’s regular meals and reduce the food given at meal times by the amount used during clicker training.



Q. What if my dog doesn’t respond to food treats for clicker training?
A. Some dogs just don’t respond as well to food rewards. Maybe your dog loves certain toys, playing ball, or getting pats from you. As you get to know what your dog likes, you’ll find the best combination of treats or rewards for clicker training.



Q. Will I have to give my dog treats the rest of his life just to get him to obey?
A. If you keep the food hidden from your dog until you’re ready to reward him and use a variety of rewards, your dog won’t expect food every time he obeys. For long-term clicker training success, use both food and non-food treats so your dog learns that the reward can come in different forms.



Make sure you have plenty of clicker training treats on hand wherever you go with your dog. Order Treat Totes from The Clicker Company.

9 comments:

  1. You have a clicker in your hand, and some small treats in a pocket or nearby. The treats can be small pieces of dry dog food, commercial dog treats, tiny pieces of cheese, or anything you know your dog likes to eat. You have chosen what you are going to train for this session... let's say it's "sit."
    dog clicker training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am about to train my dog using a clicker, I will describe this on my blog: http://everythingaboutyorkies.blogspot.com/

    I hope this method will be useful.

    I will be happy if peopl could follow my attempts to train my dog - she is running away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. It is important to participate in some form of training with your dog in order to make sure that he is well behaved and obedient. One of the keys to doing so is finding a training method that works and that you can both enjoy. See more http://dogsaholic.com/training/clicker-dog-training.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Good to discover your site Very well article! I’m simply in love with it.
    _________________________
    Northern Virginia Dog Trainers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice conversation. Thank you so much. It is really awesome and very good. This is the very good ideas. I am appropriate from your blogs about Top Dog Training .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think mimicking popular posts on other blogs is one of the best ways to get a good idea which will be popular.Such a lovely blog you have shared here with us. Really nice.
    __________________________
    Memphis dog trainers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
    __________________________
    Houston Dog Training

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Beagle is quite hardheaded and training her was quite arduous. However, I've discovered that patience and repetition are key to success. So, I've carefully trained her using clicker for our off-leash sessions. The rewards are really great and now she is such an obedient pooch. She behaves well and can be trusted to obey all commands to her. By the way, I've used small fruits and carrots for treats. For more information, see this great site: http://dogsaholic.com/training/off-leash-dog-training.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such a valuable and informative platform I find here. I am regular to read publication of this blog and definitely waiting for more articles.
    Indianapolis dog training

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP